Greetings Guest
home > library > journal > view_article
« Back to Articles » Journal
3▲ 3 ▼ 0
How to treat pronouns in your dictionary
This public article was written by Admin Sheep, and last updated on 4 Jun 2015, 01:27.

13. Pronouns
In the past, there has been a little confusion about how to treat personal pronouns on CWS. The below Q&A should give you an idea of how to treat these on CWS.

Firstly, do not add new wordlinks for pronouns.

Q: What pronouns should I add?
A: You can add each pronoun for each number, gender, animacy, person, etc. (see the next question re cases). However these can only be linked to pre-existing wordlinks (note: for third person singular, it's called "he/she/it"). You can use the 'notes' field to add more specificity to the entry.

Q: What case should these be in?
A: The pronouns in the dictionary should always be in nominative case or your equivalent base case.

Q: What if I want to show pronouns in other cases?
A: You should add a grammar table and use the PhoMo sound change applicator rules to show how these inflect into other cases.

Q: What if my pronouns don't inflect regularly?
A: As with all other grammar tables, once you've set up the regular forms (if there are none, leave the fields blank, or use / as a rule), you can add irregular forms to complete a declension table for a particular pronoun.

Q: Can I still list the other cases in my dictionary?
A: We'd prefer you didn't. You don't list the declined forms of other nouns in your dictionary as well, so why do this for pronouns?

Q: What if I still want inflected forms to be reflected in dictionary exports?
A: The grammar table inflections are not added to the exported CSV files, however you could add this information using the 'notes' field in the dictionary rather than adding the new forms.

Q: What if I want to be able to search for the inflected form in my dictionary?
A: You can't search for inflected forms of other nouns, or verbs either. You'd need to know the infinitive/nominative (or equivalent) in order to search for the word. This should be the same with pronouns.

Q: What if I really can't remember the nominative?
A: If you added the inflectional information in the notes of your dictionary entries as well, then you can also search the dictionary by the notes field, so that should yield the results you're looking for.

Q: What should I do if my question isn't answered here?
A: Contact us. You can do this via the forum, by messaging a staff member, or by reporting a suggestion/feedback.
Comments (4)
[link] [quote] 14-Aug-20 03:15
Ángialuma !
 severy [ADMIN] [CWSP STAFF]
Please note that nobody is informed when people leave questions on system articles. If you need help, use the forums.
[link] [quote] 04-May-20 02:15
CWS Conlanger
I want to be able to specify the entry as he, she, or it but can't figure out how to
[link] [quote] 05-Dec-19 10:09
CWS Musicians
For talk about music in general, conmusic, instruments, etc. Be welcome :DD
How can you add the 1PL "Us" in the Accusative or Dative cases?
[link] [quote] 14-Mar-17 19:12
CWS Conlanger
Where is the explanation on 1DU, 1PL and 1PAU? I want to add words for plural personal pronouns, e.g. four versions of "we" (1st, 1st+2nd, 1st+2nd+3rd, and 1st+3rd) and two versions of "you (pl.)" (2nd and 2nd+3rd). How do I do that?
privacy | FAQs | rules | statistics | graphs | donate | api (indev)
Viewing CWS in: English | Time now is 16-Jan-21 05:32 | Δt: 198.76ms